How to stand for election
For the 2016 - 2018 elections over 100 young people applied to be a member of the Young Essex Assembly.
Application forms are available from Monday 11 June to Monday 15 October 2018.
You will have the opportunity to attend an information day to find out more about the YEA and to obtain support with writing your 45 word statement. This will happen during October half term.
The voting will take place on 26 November to 3 December.
Declaration events revealing the new members will happen countywide during the week of 10 December 2018.
The first sitting for new members will be on Saturday 19 January 2019 at County Hall with a training residential to be held in half term in February 2019.
As a YEA member you need to meet the following criteria:
- The minimum age to join the YEA is 11 years and attending secondary school
and attending secondary school. The maximum age is 19 years.
- You must either live, work or study in the district you wish to represent
- You need to attend the monthly meetings plus events and training as required
We also expect you to:
- represent all young people in your district
- feed back to local young people on the YEA's work
- check your emails regularly and keep in contact with staff and your peers
- serve from 1st January 2019 to 31st December 2020 if you are elected
- make your own way to meetings.
These days feature activities and information run by current
YEA members and staff.
At the information day you'll have the opportunity to:
- Find out more about the YEA and what it’s like to be a member
- Meet existing YEA members and ask them questions
- Find out what YEA members have done in previous years
- Meet the staff that work with the YEA
- Have support to write your candidate statement
- If more people attend than there are spaces on the ballot paper
a vote will be held on the day. Candidates not successful on the day
will be informed about other local opportunities.
This year the information days will take place in your local area during October half term.
All information days run between 10am and 3pm.
Please get in touch if you have any questions or worries about getting involved.
"At the start I thought it was all about politics but now I know it's more about teamwork and giving the youth a voice." Jack, Age 15, Braintree, YEA.