How to stand for election
The Young Essex Assembly Elections have taken place. Applications closed on Sunday 23 October 2016.
We had over 100 young people apply to be on the Young Essex Assembly and many attended an information day to get support to write their 45 word statement.
The voting then took place from 21st to 27th November 2016 with the Declaration Events happening county wide between the 5 and 15 December 2016.
The First Sitting of the new Assembly was on Saturday 21 January 2017 with a Training residential form Sunday 12 to Wednesday 15 February 2017.
Monthly meetings and held on Saturdays in Chelmsford plus events and training as needed.
As a YEA member you need to meet the following criteria:
- The minimum age to join the YEA is 11 years and attending secondary school
and attending secondary school. The maximum age is 19 years.
- You must either live, work or study in the district you wish to represent
- You need to attend the monthly meetings plus events and training as required
We also expect you to:
- represent all young people in your district
- feed back to local young people on the YEA's work
- check your emails regularly and keep in contact with staff and your peers
- serve from 1st January 2017 to 31st December 2018 if you are elected
- make your own way to meetings.
These days feature activities and information run by current
YEA members and staff.
At the information day you'll have the opportunity to:
- Find out more about the YEA and what it’s like to be a member
- Meet existing YEA members and ask them questions
- Find out what YEA members have done in previous years
- Meet the staff that work with the YEA
- Have support to write your candidate statement
- If more people attend than there are spaces on the ballot paper
a vote will be held on the day. Candidates not successful on the day
will be informed about other local opportunities.
This year information days will be held on:
- Monday 24 October in Basildon, Colchester, Uttlesford
- Tuesday 25 October in Brentwood, Braintree, Harlow
- Wednesday 26 October in Epping Forest, Rochford, Tendring, Maldon
- Thursday 27 October in Chelmsford, Castle Point
All information days run between 10am and 3pm.
Please get in touch if you have any questions or worries about getting involved.
"I think that the Young Essex Assembly is great; it has helped me so much and given me the opportunity to make a difference in Essex and have my voice heard on important matters that affect youth." Zoe, age 18